20 Fun Facts About Game Of Thrones
If you’re addicted to escaping to the land of Westeros here are some fun facts about Game of Thrones as well as the cast members for those of you who can’t get enough of the series. Enjoy some GOT trivia while you twiddle your thumbs till the start of season 4.
1. The cost of each episode is a whopping $6 million which increases by about 15% per season.
2. The lovable Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) hasn’t let dwarfism stop him from leading a normal life. He is happily married and has a 2-year old daughter. Go Peter!
3. In reality, Peter is a vegetarian. The “meat” you see him digging into on screen is actually tofu. Well, it could have fooled any of us.
4. The role of the scheming queen would have gone to someone else if it weren’t for Peter Dinklage. He and Lena Headey have been friends since before the show and it was he who recommended her to the producers for the role of Cersei Lannister.
5. There are a couple of faces on the show you would have seen in the Harry Potter movies. Michelle Fairley who plays the brave Lady Stark was also Hermione’s mother and Osha (Natalia Tena) who takes care of Bran was the spunky Tonks in the world of Hogwarts. Now you know why they look so familiar.
6. Actor, Nikolaj Coster-Waldeu (Jaime Lannister) can’t get enough of the scene where Tyrian slaps Joffrey. He has admitted to constantly replaying the scene on Youtube for a few laughs.
7. The iron throne on the show measures 8 ft tall and is built from a wooden frame and hundreds of heated swords. It took 2 months to build but is quite uncomfortable to sit on
8. Ever wondered where you’ve seen King Robert before? You probably didn’t recognize him with his clothes on after he played the fat guy in the hilarious comedy The Full Monty.
9. Sana Stark’s direwolf from season 1, Zunni is actually a dog and was adopted by the actress, Sophie Turner’s family.
10. Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) is a natural blonde, while Lena Heady (Cersei Lannister) and Emilia Clarke Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen/Khaleesi) are both brunettes in actuality. They’re live examples of the wonders of the wig. Check out what the cast looks like in real life.
11. The adorable Maisie Williams (Arya stark) and Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) play sisters on the show and are best friends in real life.
12. Maisie is a dancer in real life and was discovered at a dance recital. Look at her groove in this flash mob.
13. The dishy Jon Snow played by Kit Harington and the spunky Ygritte played by Rose Leslie began dating in real life, shortly after meeting on the show. Don’t give up hope on him just yet ladies, the two just split up in August 2013.
14. Unlike the character he portrays as the evil King Joffrey, Jack Gleeson is actually one of the most instantly likable and friendliest guys on set.
15. He and Sophie turner (Sansa Stark) are known to try their hand at rapping behind the scenes. Shy Sansa and the sadistic King rapping together? Now that, we would love to see!
16. Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) is the younger brother of pop star, Lily Allen.
17. HBO hired linguistic experts to create the Dothraki language. Here we were thinking they were just random noises and grunts strung together by the writers of the show. Over 3,000 words exist in the Dothraki tongue today.
18. The man responsible for it all, the author of the books, George Martin is aware that he isn’t getting any younger. He has informed the producers about how he intends the story to end and the fate of all the characters in case so they can continue to make the show even if age gets the better of him.
19. George Martin was gifted one of the dragon eggs from the show as a wedding gift when he married in 2011.
20. None of the actors of the show have read the books and don’t intend to as they fear it would influence their portrayal of their character.