Dessert Secrets Shared by Le 15′s Pooja Dhingra
• Make sure your egg whites are at room temperature
• Measure the ingredients on a precise scale
• Make sure the batter is well mixed
• Let the macaroon shells dry completely before baking
• Get creative with your fillings!
Recipe for Spiced Macarons
• Powdered sugar 100 g
• Almond powder 100 g
• Egg whites 70 g
• Castor sugar 65 g
• Pink food colouring 3 g
• Semisweet or bittersweet chocolate 115 g
• Heavy whipping cream 90 g
• Butter 15 g
• Cinnamon Powder 1 tsp
• Nutmeg Powder 1/2 tsp
• Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
• Preheat oven to 180 C
• Whisk together the powdered sugar and almond powder so there are no lumps.
• Beat the egg whites till they froth, while whipping add in the castor sugar until it forms firm peaks.
• Mix the stiff egg white meringue with the powdered sugar and almond powder. Add the food colouring
• Then pipe this batter onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper, around 1 inch (3 cm circles), evenly spaced one inch apart. Let the tray sit aside for 30 minutes.
• Bake them for 15-18 minutes.
• Cool completely before removing from baking sheet.
• Place the chopped chocolate in a stainless steel bowl.
• Heat the cream and spices in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil.
• Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow it to stand for 5 minutes
• Stir with a whisk until smooth, stir in the butter. Let it cool.
• Spread a bit of chocolate filling with a use of a spoon or piping bag, on the inside of the macarons then sandwich them together.
• Store in an air tight container, refrigerated, for a maximum of 3 days.
For all your baking needs head to Gourmet West at Westside. Located at Kalaghoda Mumbai, Gourmet West is a one stop-shopping destination that has a range of imported products including pasta, sauces, vinegars, oils, condiments and accompaniments, cookies and confectionary, chips and snacks, frozen food and beverages. Gourmet West also features a large selection of gourmet delicatessen items such as cheeses, cold cuts, meats, olive oil, organic products, signature breads, dips and sauces, sandwiches and salads. Explore the best and most elegant foods in the world at prices that will amaze you. Bon Appetit!