Bid Goodbye to the Snooze Button: How to Wake Up Early
The one thought that repeatedly gives you nightmares in the day: I hope I can wake up early and on time tomorrow! Oh, the dreaded Monday (Tuesday, Wednesday…) morning will be back before you shut those eyelids. If only you could magically stop time every day, only to get those few extra minutes of pure bliss. At least you have the snooze button. But what if we tell you, you could bid farewell to snoozy, and rise and shine every morning feeling fresh as a daisy? Believe it, and it will happen. We give you dos and don’ts on how to wake up early everyday and we say it out of personal experience.
Dos And Don’ts Before Going to Bed
1. Don’t go to bed in a crappy mood. “Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.” Rightfully quoted by Mahatma Gandhi, this thought should never leave your mind. Sleep can well be your escape from the world around you. An alternate reality that you can create for yourself. It’s up to you to decide how beautiful or negative you want it to be. So forget whatever it is that is bothering you, and leave it for the universe to figure while you melt into those comfy pillows!
2. Don’t drink coffee or alcohol before sleeping. Avoid caffeine and white spirits as much as you can if you want to sleep peacefully. Drinking these stimulant beverages will only cause restless sleep, and leave you feeling groggy the next morning.
3, Do use the toilet just before tucking yourself in that cosy blanket. More often than not, you won’t feel the need to, but go anyway. Your kidneys don’t stop working through the night and that’s why your bladder is full when you wake up. It’s troublesome to have to wake up in the middle of the night to empty it.
4. Don’t eat just before going to bed, unless you’re a fan of acidity, tummy ache and heartburn. Late night bingeing is very harmful for your overall system, so make sure you leave at least a gap of at least 2 hours between eating and sleeping. Avoid eating oily and spicy meals for dinner and stick to light eating.
5. Do give a few minutes of your time to being grateful – for the night, for the bed, for the people in your life, for the clothes on your body, for the meals you had that day, for every little thing that makes your life. Meditate, chant or indulge in any kind of spiritual activity that calms you down, even if it’s for 5 minutes. You don’t have to be religious or an atheist – you just have to be a believer of the universe and its powers.
6. Do go to bed early, because when Benjamin Franklin said ‘early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise’, he did back it up with reasons. Sleeping early and having enough time to start your day in the morning plays an important role for peace of mind.
7. Do leave some room for air. You tend to take more breaths while sleeping, so it is only fair to let the fresh air come in and all that CO2 go out of your little window.
8. Do sleep consistently. It really doesn’t matter if you sleep for eight hours every day. What matters is that you keep your sleeping and waking time constant. Maintain a sort of routine and keep your bedtime to a particular time at night, and religiously follow it.
Dos and Don’ts Whole Waking Up
1. Do look forward to waking up in the mornings. Of course you’ll be grumpy and irritable if there’s no good reason for you to wake up. Don’t let a hectic day ahead or your boss’ comments the previous day spoil your morning today. Take each morning as a new day and look forward to doing something that will make you smile.
2. Do let the sunshine brighten up your day. Instead of looking at the ray of sunlight peeping in through your window as a monstrous blinding force driving you out of your bed, let it awaken your senses.
3. Don’t hit the snooze button of that annoying alarm clock. Be strong. Have self-control. Remove the snooze option if possible and put your alarm clock out of your reach, so you have to get out of bed if you want to put it off. It’s all about will power and dedication here!
4. Do exercise. It’s only going to make you feel the opposite of tired. Few yogasanas or a quick jog in the morning summer breeze will ensure you have a brilliant day ahead!
5. Do drink a glass of water first thing in the morning without fail. It will kick start your day, hydrate you and is like a fuel to your metabolism.
Follow these simple steps religiously for sometime and the results will speak for themselves. Rise and shine!
Tell us how you curb the sleep monster everyday by tweeting to us @get_inonit and @snehasaysso.