Fashion Cheat Sheet: The Little Black Dress and its Versatile Ways
In this fickle world of fashion where a new color and a different silhouette are in vogue every now and then, we are ever so thankful for the Little Black Dress. A wardrobe staple for girls and nothing less than a superhero for many of us, it’s about time we prove to you the versatility of this fashion classic. With a bit of accessorizing here and little bit of styling there, our fashion cheat sheet shows you the many ways an LBD can be worn over and over again.
Tips and Trends
1. The best part about an LBD is that you can always dress it up or style it down depending on your mood and the occasion. The key to getting it right is knowing what to wear and how. Save the dainty jewelry and pearls for a more formal sit-down dinner and bring out the best in you with bold and bright accessories for a night out.
2. Accessories: Opulent and dramatic accessories like statement necklaces, chandelier earrings, chunky cocktail rings, sash belts and embellished clutches are a sure shot way to put your best party foot forward. To save you from a fashion faux pas, here’s a little tip – if your LBD already has sequins or any other form of bling, carry a matte clutch to tone it down.
3. Footwear: Ditch the boring black shoes and instead opt for different pop colors like red, fuchsia and neon. For the dare divas, team your LBD with a pair of animal patterned pumps and make heads turn wherever you go.
4. Hair accessories: These are highly underestimated and most definitely hold their own ground when it comes to making a style statement. From romantic flower headbands, dramatic head gears, chic fedoras and classy berets, ladies, we are so spoilt for choice.
5. Staying Current: Make sure you keep a tab on the latest trends while accessorizing your LBD. That way even a true blue fashionista wouldn’t know that you wore the same dress last week. We are currently crushing on the latest trend of houndstooth and plan to team our LBD with ballet flats or a scarf of that same print.
6. A Black Skirt? Pull off an ultra-chic office look by turning your straight-line dress into a high waist skirt by teaming it with a short blazer and clinching it with a belt. You could also layer your dress over a slim-fitting white shirt and accessorize it with a smart briefcase, and geek glasses to get that perfect secretary look. From tweed jackets, bright-colored blazers, and tunics can be worn over your LBD and you’ve got yourself a black skirt without having to spend extra.
7. Or a Black Top? Make the most of your maxi skirts by wearing it over your LBD and turn the upper half of your dress into a basic tank top. For the style divas who would like to add a bit of drama to your fashion, try a bright tutu skirt to go with it.
8. Pairing with prints and patterns: When in doubt, you can always go the Hollywood celebrity way as they are often seen wearing their favorite LBD over a pair of tights or stockings with polka dots, lace and hearts being the most popular patterns.