Fashion Fun Facts About Your Fave Brands & Designers
All of us fashion aficionados may believe that we know all about our favourite brands and can even talk about them in our sleep. However, there are so many surprising facts you may have never heard of. We help you brush up on your GFK (General Fashion Knowledge) with some cool truths about these tops fashion brands and designers.
The French fashion house is the top most luxurious brand in the world. You may own Louis Vuitton products and may think you know a lot about the brand, but did you know these facts:
- They have legally trademarked their famous striped pattern as well as the colour combination that is their signature. This can prevent other companies from stealing their designs.
- 99% of Louis Vuitton merchandise in the world is fake.
- The handles and piping of your LV bag are made from cow-hide leather that is a light tan colour with the edge dyed red and yellow stitching. After using your bag for a few weeks, the leather handle will change colour to a darker brown. If it doesn’t , then it’s a fake.
- Louis Vuitton burns all their unsold bags at the end of the year. This drastic measure maintains the exclusive and high-end nature of the brand.
- In the American city of Nevada, LV has 5 boutiques all on the same street. That’s how popular the brand is!
- Did you know your Louis Vuitton bag isn’t as delicate as you think it is? Each bag goes through countless durability tests like being dropped from a height of half a meter for 4 days straight with a weight of 3.5 kgs inside, among other endurance tests.
The iconic Creative Director of Chanel has also designed for other brands like Fendi and Chloe. Here’s more about the German maestro of design other than his trademark white hair and dark sunglasses.
- Karl doesn’t have a mobile phone. He prefers to write notes to people or fax letters.
- Karl designed the wardrobe of Madonna’s Re-invention world tour.
- He collaborated with fashion brand, H&M in 2004 for a collection that was sold out at their outlets within 2 days.
- He owns over 100 iPods and has a special custom-made Louis Vuitton bag to keep them in.
- Karl has a penchant for literature and maintains a personal library. He also owns a bookshop and publishing company in Paris called 7L.
- He has caused quite a few controversies thanks to speaking a bit too much of his mind, like publically stating that Adele is ‘a little too fat’. He also caused fury throughout the UK after claiming that Pippa Middleton does not have a nice face and should stick to showing her backside. He later issued a statement of apology.
The American fashion designer who heads his own label, Marc Jacobs as well as a diffusion line, Marc by Marc Jacobs, is also the Creative Director of Louis Vuitton. We already love him for being fashion’s most coolest and influential designers, here are a few more reasons that make him even more endearing.
- He made his acting debut in the film, Disconnect that released in America in April 2013.
- He’s openly dating a male porn star who’s half his age and doesn’t care what the world thinks.
- He has 28 tattoos of the most random things including an M&M’s character, a simspons-style cartoon of himself and also one of Spongebob Squarepants.
- He’s a complete dog-lover and has also named a perfume after his former dog, Daisy and also has a tattoo of her.
- Inspite of being ultra talented, Marc has had his share of self-esteem issues and has also battled an alcohol and drug addiction, namely heroine. Luckily, he’s kicked the addiction and has been clean and sober for over 5 years now. At age 50, he shows no signs of slowing down.
Gucci is the biggest-selling Italian brand, no surprise there! Considering that it is probably the first fashion-related word you heard when you were young, you probably thought you know the brand well. Well, you’ll be surprised to know these facts then:
- The Guinness World Records named the Gucci ‘Genius Jeans’ as the most expensive jeans in the world.
- The company has suffered from some terrible times including the murder of one of the brothers behind the Gucci family over inheritance issues as well as an invasion of first-sopies in the market which almost led them to bankruptcy. Luckily, the brand survived through all this and is today, one of the most profitable companies in the world.
- Gucci has partnered with UNICEF since 2005. Their stores across the globe donate a certain percentage of sales towards the United Nations Children’s Fund.
- Tom Ford was appointed to turn around the company during difficult times as Artistic Director in 1994. He held the position till 2005 and is mainly responsible for making it the super successful fashion house it is today.
His name has become one of the most recognizable names in fashion in the past few years, but there still so many things we don’t know about this genius of style.
- The first thing he ever designed was his mother’s wedding dress for her second marriage when he was just 5 years old.
- He was born as Karl Anderson Jr, he was known as Chuckie when he was a toddler and changed his name to Michael at age 5.
- At the young age of 11, he opened a shop in his basement called the Iron Butterfly Boutiqe, selling handmade leather bags and copper bracelets.
- He was discovered at a birthday party by a television producer and become a child actor, appearing in several commercials for well-known brands.
- He claims that his secret to success is that he loves women. He loves working with women and feels the biggest compliment is when a lady says she loved how she looked and could sit and move freely in his creation.