Guest Blogger: Daily Skin Care Rituals by Maia Sethna
Model and fashion and lifestyle blogger, Maia Sethna shares some tips and secrets behind her gorgeous skin.
We all long for healthy, glowing, clear skin and feel like it is something beyond our reach- wrong! We blindly spend hundreds and thousands on skin products; newly advertised and celebrity endorsed products without actually considering whether it is actually benefiting your skin or simply taking up additional room on your beauty rack in your bathroom and dressing table. Here are a few beauty tips and mantra’s that you should live by to help you get that clear, glowing skin you’ve always wanted.
- The less you touch your face the better- You go about your day touching and handling various objects, unknowingly coming in contact with germs and bacteria. The minute you start fiddling with your face the dust and germs are transmitted to your skin! So avoid this as much as possible, if you absolutely must touch your face, use a hand sanitizer or Detol hand soap first.
- Hydrate regularly- I cannot stress the importance of drinking as much water as you possibly can. It actually promotes a clearer complexion! On most days, I start the day with warm water with a little lemon and honey or a glass of water on an empty stomach. I also have a glass of coconut water before leaving the house. I consciously sip on water throughout the day, as well as herbal tea when time and opportunity permit! Green tea and Oolong tea have detoxifying properties, helping to eliminate the toxins from your system, resulting in a clearer, radiant complexion.
- Know what products suit your skin best- Use a good face wash that suits your skin type. Clinique face wash might suit your best friend, but leave your skin feeling dry and patchy. If your skin is prone to breakouts, try something like Neutrogena spot stress control, or a gentle cleansing agent like Cetaphil. Once you cleanse your skin, follow up by using a good toner and then finish off with a moisturizer. Always ensure that you remove every trace of make up from your skin before you sleep.
- Use a good sunscreen and moisturizer- Before stepping out, this should be an integral part of your daily routine. It is all about trying and testing various products and to discover what suits your skin the best! Try products like Neutrogena, Olay, Clinique, Kiehls or L’occitane.
- Cleanse your face- Do this thoroughly before and after you work out to avoid breakouts. Use the steam room at your gym to sweat out the toxins and attain a healthy glow.
- Carry a moisture spray with you- To help keep your skin hydrated especially during the hot summer months when there is intense heat. I used to carry Clinique’s moisture surge spray whilst shooting in the heat. My skin would feel horrible in the sun, with a layer of make-up on. The spray worked wonderfully in relieving it and restoring the moisture.
- For puffy eyes and dark circles- My go to products are Clinique even better dark circle corrector- which I keep in the fridge for a cooling effect and Kiehl’s Midnight recovery eye cream! Puffiness can be a result of several things, ranging from seasonal allergies, to sleeping positions or a very late night. I store some Alovera gel in the refrigerator just in case! Apply the cold gel over and under your eyes. It will soothe the puffy area and reduce the swell.
- Try out more natural and home remedies- A number of face- packs can be made in the kitchen; Mash up Papaya and mix with Alovera and apply on your face. This DIY face pack works wonders for your skin. It exfoliates and breaks down dead skin cells, reduces blemishes and dryness. A cooling cucumber pack can be made by simply grating a cold cucumber or slicing a cucumber and placing the pieces over your peepers. My go to homemade face pack is – Multani Mitti and Rosewater, it always leaves my skin feeling great.
- “You are what you eat”- Amessage told to us repeatedly by our Mothers and Grandmothers. Make sure you are eating a well balanced meal with foods that are high in vitamin E and taking multi vitamins. While everything in moderation is acceptable, avoid over indulging in fried snacks, sweets, chocolate and excess caffeine and opt for snacking on healthier foods packed with actual nutrition like nuts, fruits and seeds. Almonds, Walnuts, the Brazil nut, Prunes and sunflower seeds, blueberries, strawberries and avocados are all packed with nutrients and make a good snack.
Moral of the story, be good to your skin and it will be good to you! Think happy thoughts and don’t let stress get the better of you! Good luck! xo
If you’ve got a cool blog and would like to collaborate as guest blogger, shoot us a mail at email@example.com