No Time To Wash Your Hair? It’s Dry Shampoo To The Rescue
It’s a Monday morning and you can’t help but hit the snooze button on your alarm a few times. Result: you’re late for work and there’s no time to wash your hair. Going to work with a greasy head that’s half wet in the rain isn’t exactly a pretty sight. But is there a solution? Yes, there is—the dry shampoo. It works just right for your hair, making it look less greasy and smelling great. Here’s all you need to know about it.
What Is A Dry Shampoo?
When you wash your hair, you get rid of all the dirt and oil on your scalp. However, over washing the hair can cause the chemicals to strip your scalp of natural oils (or sebum), leaving it dry and vulnerable. A dry shampoo helps absorb all the sebum secreted from your scalp without having to actually wash your hair. It is usually available in a powder or dry spray form that settles on your scalp and works its magic.
How Do You Use It?
1. Use dry shampoo only on dry hair.
2. Make small partitions as you do when you apply oil and gently dust the powder shampoo on your scalp.
3. Let it stay for 60 to 80 seconds and then comb out your hair to get rid of the excess powder.
4. In case you are using a spray, keep it about six inches away from your scalp and apply on the partitions. Comb out the same way as above.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of A Dry Shampoo?
1. It reduces the frequency of your hair washing, thus protecting your hair, especially if it’s coloured.
2. It extends the life of your hairstyles or blow-dries.
3. It is less time consuming and thus ideal for busy days.
4. It makes it easy to style your hair as you don’t need to wait for the hair to dry.
1. When it comes to powder-based shampoos, some products may leave a residue on the hair and scalp which looks like dandruff. So ensure that you comb your powder out well.
2. With some types of hair, combing may be tough, as it makes the hair frizzy. In such cases, use only spray-based shampoos.
3. Dry shampoo does not clean out your hair like regular ones—so it’s not a substitute. Use it only between two washes.
4. Over use of dry shampoo can cause the scalp to dry up as it absorbs all your natural oil. Use it not more than twice a week.
Which One Should I Buy?
We recommend these options for your hair. In India, there are only dry shampoo sprays available.
L to R: Toni&Guy Refresh It Dry Shampoo: Rs 978, L’Oreal Professionnel Tecni Art Fresh Dust Dry Shampoo: Rs 950, Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo 5 Ounce: Rs 1,357, Garnier Fructis Volume Extend Instant Bodifier Dry Shampoo, 100ml: Rs 1,475, TRESemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo Smoothing, 168ml: Rs 1,363, Dove Invigorating Dry Shampoo 5 Ounce: Rs. 3,010, Pssssst! Instant Dry Shampoo 1.76 OZ: Rs 449
We hope this guide will help you pick the right dry shampoo for your hair. Have a great hair day, every day.
Love this post? Subscribe now.
Images courtesy: totalbeauty.com, brightestbulbinthebox.com, makeupandbeauty.com