Style Tips By Malaika Arora Khan
Malaika Arora Khan has been charming us right from her anchoring days at Style Check on MTv. She’s been looked at as a diva every girl wishes to be. It’s not everyday that the Queen B gives style advice but when she does, all the ladies should be sure to listen up!
1. From modelling to acting and now styling, how did your fashion journey take you to The Closet Label?
Buy the look here for Rs. 700 to Rs. 2750
It has always been a dream of mine to have my own clothing label. I have always toyed with the idea so when The Label Corp approached me with theclosetlabel.com, an online store that focused on leisure and everyday wear I jumped at the opportunity! It is wonderful to be able to help women across the country dress effortlessly stylish everyday.
2. How closely does it reflect your personal style? Which are the top 3 products that best describe your style?
I would love to live in everything we create in the line. I would love to wake up in the morning in our sleepwear. I would love to run errands in our easy lounge pieces. I would love to wear our active wear while I workout and would love to wear our swimwear to the beach. All of the pieces are very Me. Maxi dresses, sheer blouses and the sleepwear!
3. Which are the wardrobe essentials one must have for Spring / Summer 2014?
This Spring Summer 2014 I am completely obsessed with prints! Our latest collection ‘P for Print’ features all the hottest patterns inspired by international runways. Prints from ikat and paisley to geometric and tribal to the classic floral prints in shirts, dresses and shorts are a must-have!
4. Maxi dresses and skirts with thigh high slits are trending. Who should wear it and how should one style it?
Maxi dresses are perfect for the Indian women, it makes us look taller and slimmer. A maxi skirt can be dressed up or down with a crop top or tank, whereas a maxi dress can be worn from day to night with just a change in accessories.
5. Come summer and many of us will head to beach holidays. What should go into our suitcases to make our beach vacation an ultra-chic one?
Buy this swimsuit here for Rs. 2900
1. A swimsuit that flatters your body type
2. A swim cover up to take your swimsuit from the ocean to the beach
3. A flowy maxi dress
4. Comfortable shorts are a must
5. A floppy beach hat
6. A oversized pair of sunglasses
6. We love distressed jeans. How can one wear it and what is the appropriate social setting for the same?
Distressed denim can be a wonderful thing, but it can also go very wrong. To ensure you look chic, cross-mixing with other styles such as a crisp shirt and brogues would do the trick.
7. Can you give tips on the following types of dresses with reference to body type, styling and right occasion?
A) Skater Dress – A skater dress suits a women with a narrow waist and a broad hip since it is fitted on the top and flowy at the bottom. It can be dressed up or down from brunch to dinner depending on the fabric and colour of the dress
B) Shift Dress – A shift dress is perfect for the Indian woman with apple shaped figure. Wear it to work or to a dinner date!
C) Sheath Dress – A sheath dress sticks to the body, this one is perfect for an hour-glass body type. It’s perfect for a night out paired with statement earrings and killer heels.
8. What do you think of metallic outfits and how can one carry it off without looking loud?
Metallic is a huge trend Spring/Summer 2014. The trick is to pair metallics with neutral shades and to keep the accessories minimal, there’s no need to go overboard with accessories.
9. If one has 15 mins to get ready for an evening out, how would you suggest a quick fix for a perfect look?
An LBD is always a go-to look, accessorised with a statement necklace and high heels. Voila!
10. Most common fashion faux pas and how do you correct it?
People try too hard to pull off a trend that isn’t meant for their body type. I do not believe in forcing a trend for the sake of it, wear it only if you are comfortable in it.
11. What do you wear on a brunch date with your hubby?
Buy this look here from Rs. 1300 to Rs. 5250
I would wear a bright coloured or a printed maxi with wedges and a pair of earrings.
12. Amrita also being quite a fashionista, how do you girls dress up for a night out together?
Amrita and I have have very different dressing styles but we do compliment each other. There are a lot of things about her that inspire me and help me build my collection at The Closet Label.
13. What is the boldest outfit you’ve ever worn, according to you? How did you carry it off?
Definitely my Cavalli gowns! I keep the focus on the dress and accessorise with subtle jewellery.
14. Out of the three khan brothers, who has the best sense of style and why?
I love Sohail’s style, its so effortless!
15. Which actresses do you find the most stylish in Bollywood?
Did you love this post? Sign up now to get all our latest stories delivered straight to your inbox!